Monday, April 16, 2012

The Event

I think that the event went quite well, despite setbacks with technical difficulties, and the audience that we managed to gather was quite impressive, for the last day of classes, at any rate. I invited quite a few people, but sadly, I have to admit that, as far as I know, none of them came or watched the event online. At first I tried to think of who I could invite that would be more likely to be interested in the event, but then I realized that I couldn't really think of anyone who would likely be more interested than anyone else, so I just started inviting everyone. I talked to my family, including two of my brothers who are up at BYU-I, and invited them to watch the event online, I invited a bunch of my coworkers at my job, I invited my roommates, and a few other people in my ward, I put up fliers around my apartment building, and I even got permission from a couple of my professors to announce the event in two of my classes. I also sent an email to one of the people on my group's "thought leader/interested person" list; a professor here at BYU named Amy Jensen, inviting her to the event as well as asking her if she could do some social proofing on our content for us (she never got back to me, though). Some of these people even came up to me later and asked me for more details on the event, but unfortunately, as far as I know, none of them actually came. Oh, well.
      The actual event went pretty well, I thought, and was actually pretty fun (especially once my presentation was over, because then I didn't have to be nervous anymore. :p). I gave the presentation for my group (Inquiry), and I thought that it went really well, much better than in the rehearsals. My presentation was also the only one that didn't have any technical difficulties, though of course I can't take any credit for that. :p
    I didn't have my computer with me, and I don't have a twitter account, so I'm not really sure if our group (Inquiry) got any questions from the online chat feed. At least, Jamie didn't have any questions for us during the event. I didn't really expect many questions though, seeing that research isn't exactly the most exciting topic, but it would have been cool if there had been a question or two.
   All in all, I thought the event was pretty fun. I'm glad that we did it. It was neat to be able to do something real, something that would be seen by real people.

No comments:

Post a Comment